Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Initial impressions of Tokyo

Having lived in Singapore, for so many years, I'll inadvertently end up comparing it with Tokyo. It's been more than a month and there are things I absolutely love about Tokyo, and few things that I am amused and often confused.

Positives:
Extremely Polite people. People here are super nice. I was initially confused. What incentive do Japanese have in being so nice to people, especially Foreigners? And the answer probably lies in their culture and the traumas of the war. Japanese value simple things in life. Be it good food, nature, weather, festivals. I find this quite fascinating.

People in Singapore, unfortunately, have gotten quite impatient and rude recently. I understand the frustration locals have in Singapore, with rapid immigration, competition for the best jobs and the crowding of pubic spaces, but it pains me when people lose the basic courtesy of respecting each other. And life in Singapore seems quite materialistic with people hardly having any time to value the small things in life in general.

I can't describe how much I missed having seasons Tokyo apparently has all seasons - Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. I don't like winters but I do love snow!

On the Fence:
Tokyo has a soul, and you don't need to search that deep.
Singaporeans might slander at me for calling this one out. Beneath all the modern efficiency, I think Singapore lacks a certain soul. On hand I admire the rational behavior and the focus on efficiency, productivity and desire to be the best. However, as I mentioned earlier, life felt quite empty and shallow in Singapore. Having said that, I wish Japan was as modern and efficient as Singapore. I hate queuing up in long lines, filling piles of documents for simple things like opening a bank account, remitting money, filing taxes etc.

Negatives:
Tokyo is expensive! What's interesting is that prices have stayed relative stagnant for years. Inflation is close to zero :)
I do struggle with language. It's not hard to get around, but it's definitely hard to make friends if you don't speak the local language.
My biggest gripe with Japan in general is that for a modern country, a lot of processes are still very manual and bureaucratic. You need to fill up forms, need piles of documents to get basic services like a bank account, electricity etc. In Singapore, your SingPass login and your CPF statement was enough, and almost everything could be done online.


I have been super critical of Singapore, but I still love Singapore. I need to live here longer to see my perception changes.


No comments:

Post a Comment