Monday, January 13, 2014

Finding Indian food in Tokyo and My Top list





Finding Indian food isn't hard in Tokyo, but finding one that you like, could be daunting. Before we begin, let me clarify what I mean by Indian food.

Indian cuisine is as diverse as the people in my country. Every state and ethnic group have their distinctive flavor, preparation style and ingredients. The most common food found outside India is generally North Indian/Mughlai, popularized by Nan and Butter Chicken.

Easiest way to find Indian food is just googling for "Indian Food". Google will tell you the places nearby. Then, I generally use Foursquare or Tabelog (Japan's Yelp/Zagat) ratings to narrow down the list. More often, my decisions are driven by proximity. Say, I am walking around Shibuya and I am feeling hungry, I'll generally decide between the 2-3 places within a 500m radius. Easy right.

I generally don't eat Indian food that often. Maybe at most once a week. Couple of reasons for it. I am quite lucky that I get Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner at work. Hence, on weekdays I rarely venture out. Even If I did, I grab a quick sandwich somewhere nearby. Indian food, especially around dinner in Tokyo is fairly expensive for one person.

Nans are generally 500 yen or above a piece, and each side dish, be it daal or a sabji cost 1000 yen each or more. Which makes it expensive if you are eating by your own. So Tip #1, try to find more diners who like Indian food and share the meal

Also, lunch sets in Japan are a lot cheaper. You can get a good set meal under 1200 yen in a lot of places, which will typically serve a Nan, 2 curries, some side dishes and a drink. So Tip #2, if you can, have Indian food for lunch, rather than for dinner.

Last tip is around taste. I don't see a lot of Indians in Tokyo, which means that majority of the patrons to Indian restaurants are locals (Japanese) or other foreigners. Most restaurants have modified the flavor and taste of dishes to suit Japanese diners which makes perfect sense. And since it's hard to source for traditional ingredients, they tend to use local spices. So Tip #3, don't be too harsh on the authenticity. It soon grows on you :)

Here is my list, most of which are in close proximity to where I work/live (Roppongi, Azabu). I'll update the list as I find new places.

The list

1. Ghungroo (Tabelog score 3.56)
Visited once but easily the best Indian food I have tasted in Tokyo
My score: 8
Authenticity and Taste - 8/10
Ambience - 8/10
Service - 8/10

2. Moti Darbar  (Tabelog score 3.56)
Slightly pricy but quite authentic. I might be a bit biased since I know the staff fairly well now. Their saag chicken and malai kofta are my favorites.

My score: 7.3
Authenticity and Taste - 8/10
Ambience - 6/10
Service - 8/10

3. Rasoi, Meguro (Tabelog score 3.57)
Small restaurant in Meguro. The Dal Makhani was a big let down but the other dishes were pretty good.

My score: 7.3
Authenticity and Taste - 7/10
Ambience - 7/10
Service - 8/10

4. Diya Roppongi Hills (Tabelog score 3.2)
My usual weekend lunch place. The taste is japanized with mild and less punchy flavors, but it grows on you after a while.

My score: 7
Authenticity - 6/10
Ambience - 7/10
Service - 8/10


5. Samrat Shinjuku  (Tabelog score 3.56)
Pretty decent lunch buffet. Very popular among locals. Not a fan of their Nans.

My score: 7
Authenticity and Taste - 7/10
Ambience - 7/10
Service - 7/10


6. Chelsea AzabuJuban (Tabelog score 3.2)
Small restaurant close to my home. Not too popular due to the location but the food is pretty decent. I fear it'll be shut down soon.

My score: 7
Authenticity - 7/10
Ambience - 7/10
Service - 7/10

7. Moti Futakotamagawa (Tabelog score 3.3)
Similar to Moti Roppongi. Quite far from where I live but the lunch set was pretty good

My score: 7
Authenticity and Taste - 7/10
Ambience - 7/10
Service - 7/10


8. Raj Mahal Shibuya (Tabelog score 3.52)
Stumbled across this place while showing Dad, Shibuya. Quite Average all around.

My score: 6.7
Authenticity and Taste - 6/10
Ambience - 7/10
Service - 7/10


9. Siddique Shinjuku (Tabelog score 3)
Close to my apartment rental office. Stopped once for lunch. Nothing special.

My score: 5.7
Authenticity and Taste - 5/10
Ambience - 6/10
Service - 6/10

10. Ganesha Curry Nishi-Shinbashi (Tabelog score 3)
Falls in my usual jogging route. Not recommended.

My score: 5
Authenticity and Taste - 4/10
Ambience - 5/10
Service - 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment